Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Law of Attraction and Astrology - Choose Your Astrology Wisely

Are you held hostage by your astrology? Does your world stop when Mercury retrogrades? Do you blame bad habits on your birth chart?

Anyone who's taken a good look at their astrology (and no, I don't mean the daily horoscopes) has likely discovered truths about themselves in the stars. Fire signs are bold and assertive; hard angles predict challenges, Saturn returns foretell impending crises. The list goes on and on.

While it's undeniably entertaining, often revealing, and can provide comfort as it lends self-understanding, there's a hidden danger that our belief in astrology overpowers our ability to create what we want in life.

What's At Play
The school of thought based on the Law of Attraction tells us that "as we think, so shall it be." The concept that we create our life experiences is reflected in commonly-used phrases such as "you reap what you sow" and "like attracts like." The philosophy dates as far back as Hermes Trismegistus' Emerald Tablet (rediscovered in roughly 1350 BC).

Well known figures subscribing to the Law of Attraction include Plato, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, and Carl Jung, to name just a few. Close examination of this universal law reveals essentially that thoughts become things. We create our world with our vibrations of thoughts and emotions.

Which is why it's crucial we become very conscious of what we place our faith in. Including our astrology.

When you believe in something more powerful than you, you give your power away. This can actually serve you if you haven't fully embraced your creative abilities and assigning your power outside yourself enhances expectations of success. (Like going to the doctor for a prescription, or hiring an investment manager for your portfolio.) The pitfalls are when you assign your power to something that doesn't serve you.

Astrology's Role
How does astrology fit in? For those who believe there is valuable information in the arrangement and movement of the planets, we face both opportunities and potential sabotage.

Interpreting a particular aspect as fortunate or a predictor of good news gives us "reason" to believe good things will happen. Since our thoughts create our reality, this would serve us. Anything giving reason to believe good awaits us is helpful, even if we're assigning our power outside ourselves.

On the other hand, becoming aware of astrological configurations and occurrences that cause us to expect bad news gives us "reason" to believe bad things are in store. That thought pattern handicaps our success.

The beauty of astrology is that there are so many ways to interpret it. Evolutionary astrology, as defined by Steven Forrest and Jeffrey Wolf Green, specifically embraces the core perception that "we interact creatively and unpredictably with our birth charts, that all astrological symbols are multidimensional and are modulated into material and psychic expression by the consciousness of the individual." (http://www.stevenforrest.com/evolutionary.html)

According to Salt Lake City astrologer, Laura Ellingson, that means the power lies in the interpretation and can be expressed in many different ways depending on the individual's state of mind.

Another branch of astrology asserts that planets don't cause our reality, but rather reflect the reality we create through our internal workings. That is, planets correlate to the reality we make up. Is that true? Don't ask me! We each choose our own truth, since our attention to it creates it.

Avoiding the Pitfalls
While writing this article I encountered the challenge of allowing my astrology beliefs to overpower my creative abilities. After a new love interest made the unwitting error of providing his birth date, I scrutinized his chart for over an hour.

His Sun Moon conjunction in Virgo was particularly troubling, since I wasn't interested in someone described as "highly discriminating, critical, finicky and conventional." Grant Lewi himself called a person with this aspect a "moralist!" Probably not a good match for me. As I predicted the demise of our relationship before our first date, I realized I'd just fallen victim to my astrology.

So I gave it another shot. I reviewed other traits of a double Virgo: loyal, affectionate, sentimental, and domestic. I must have skipped over those as I dug out the dirt on him. Even if he is picky - well, he's interested in me, right? That has to be a good sign. A peek at his Sun Pluto conjunction also revealed "magnetic charm, strong physical desires, with an interest in correcting social injustices." Okay, sign me up!

If I insist on giving attention to astrology, the least I can do is allow it to support me in achieving what I want. By knowing I have the power to craft this art-science in ways that bring me success, I'm no longer at the mercy of particular star pattern interpretations. When I know I'm the ultimate trump, I use astrology to my benefit by powerfully embracing thoughts supporting what I want. It's as simple as that.

The Art of Selective Believing
As a Law of Attraction Coach with an irrefutable belief in astrology, I know I can manage it to my benefit by sifting through the information gleaned from the planets, giving attention to the aspects and interpretations that support what I prefer to experience.

For example, rather than focusing on the limits of my Capricorn ascendant (cold, calculating, having rotten childhoods and inferiority complexes), I dwell on the positive traits that rising Caps are durable, steadfast and grow younger with time.

Instead of believing my date's 12th house natal Venus means he's predisposed to clandestine affairs, I expect it manifests as valuing the mystical, spiritual aspects of life. Instead of anticipating a 6th house transit of Mars as potential conflict at work, I choose it means I'll have extra energy and drive to succeed while serving others.

Because if I'm thinking about possible problems with co-workers, I create that outcome by entertaining those thoughts. As I think about extra energy for success, I attract extra energy for success. I'm the powerhouse here, not Mars. But my belief in Mars' 6th house transit allows me to expect (and thus create) conditions and situations that enhance my life.

Leveraging Your Astrology
There are many ways to use your belief in astrology to enhance the life you're creating, rather than just respond as powerless victim to the stars.

1. First know you are the ultimate authority of your life. There is nothing "out there" more powerful than you. Whether it's an astrology report, a session with a psychic or a medical diagnosis, you are your own best expert. You're in charge of you, and anything you hear, read or think is true only if you accept it.

This isn't just sugar-coating, or refusing to acknowledge the "truth." You create your truth, and you do so according to the thoughts you entertain. Since a belief is nothing more than an often-repeated thought, you decide what's true simply through your choice of thought. Deliberately selecting supportive thoughts allows you to live the reality you prefer, rather than being stuck living out someone else's idea of the truth.

2. Get in the habit of creatively analyzing your astrology in ways that support what you're up to. Know that each sign, planet and aspect has challenging and transformative qualities. Consider perceiving difficult aspects as opportunities to learn. As you embrace interpretations that feel good, you'll manifest success.

One astrologer advised a friend whose chart revealed an impending Pluto Jupiter conjunction to "lay low" until it passed, as it meant bad news. Another astrologer told him it was a wonderful opportunity to achieve great success, and that he should exploit it by taking strong action. Which interpretation would you give power to?

A Saturn return doesn't have to mean life crisis or hardship, astrologer Laura Ellingson reminds us. Let it be a new chance to sort yourself out, embrace new responsibilities and prune that which no longer serves you. Even a challenging-placed Saturn can have a positive spin!

3. Last, if you find more limits than opportunities in your astrology, consider giving up the habit. If you can't make it work for you, or if it doesn't feel good, don't dwell on it. This is good advice in all areas of life: if it doesn't feel good, don't do it. (Yes, that includes relationships, jobs, diets and exercise.) You can't get to where you want by doing something you don't enjoy!

Not just in astrology, but in all things, choose thoughts that support what you want and leave the rest behind. Embrace your power as the creator of your life, and don't let astrology do anything but boost your success.

"Get What You Want!" You've just attracted the best Law of Attraction Coach for hire. Jeannette Maw's Good Vibe Blog delivers attractive vibes twice a week at http://www.GoodVibeBlog.com - Discover how to literally write your future with The Magic of Pray Rain Journaling: http://www.PrayRainJournal.com

No comments: