Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Depression, Supplements and Spirituality - What You Don't Know May Hurt You

Recently, I read a couple of posts on depression and supplements and feel the need to alert people who are suffering from this condition about a side effect of supplementation that few, if any, are discussing. Usually, the author of the article on depression and supplements stresses the importance of proper neurochemical balance in the brain. If your brain is out of balance chemically, there is a good chance you will be depressed, or will experience anxiety or stress. Depression is often characterized by a deficiency of a certain chemical. Anxiety is characterized by too much of some other chemicals. But if you take this special brain supplement, it will help with your condition--so goes the idea.

However, it is extremely important to determine whether the cause of your being depressed is some inner chemical imbalance or whether it's the presence of certain circumstances or challenges in your life. If it's the circumstances (and I'm sure many people are experiencing difficulties, including intense situations involving their spirituality right now), how can a drug or a supplement help that? Does popping a "magic pill" help you? Proper nutrition is always a good thing, but you may want to think twice before you take special supplements or drugs for depression and I will explain why below.

Several years ago I went through a difficult time in my life but I was clear that the chemicals in my brain (or lack thereof) were not the cause of my feeling depressed--my life circumstances were. Chemical imbalance (if there were any) may have been associated with my depression, but it sure was not the cause of it. So how would taking medication help my condition?

I never took any drugs, and I'm glad. Even when I was not as conscious spiritually as I am now, I had a vague inner awareness that taking the drugs would thwart me (and perhaps even prevent me) from discovering the things I needed to discover that would actually help me! Because how can taking a supplement or a drug help you solve the root cause if you're artificially up due to happy chemicals flowing in your brain and you are no longer interested in your original issue (like, say, a job you can't stand)? Isn't it better to search for the root cause and solve that problem?

My Mom (who lives on the other coast) is one interesting example. Every time I would go visit her or whenever I called, she would communicate to me some of her strong wishes and goals. But ever since the doctors put her on anti-depressants she mellowed out about those goals. Are her wishes no longer that important to her? Have her goals lost their spark? In any case I see a difference in her and I can't say that I'm pleased.

If you are suffering from depression won't you search for how you can truly help yourself? Doesn't searching involve looking within and by doing so, discovering some important things about your true self? I can say with confidence that for many people (including myself), depression is the route to discovering your higher self and your higher purpose in life.

In fact, I was not surprised when about a week ot two ago, channel Geoffrey Hoppe (who channels Adamus St. Germain) said that to reconnect with your higher self (and achieve ascension), one should try to steer clear of any anti-depressants. ( I am not a doctor--and neither is Geoffrey--so this is not meant to be medical advice. But it is important to be aware of these ideas.)

So, you can view depression as a blessing because it ensures that you search for and eventually find the answers, find your way through your life lessons and awaken to your truth!

Seriously. If it hadn't been for my unhappiness and despair I wouldn't have searched and if I hadn't searched I wouldn't have found the amazing things I found out...about spirituality, about 2012, the higher purpose of going through the "dark," and the blessings of living through a variety of experiences. Solving depression with drugs or supplements? I would think twice.

Are you ready to discover the true source of happiness and reconnect with your higher self? Subscribe at http://www.WhatEveryoneBelieved.com/ and receive a free 7-page report on how to reconnect to and integrate with your higher self. Christine Hoeflich is the author of Activating 2012: A Practical Guide to Navigating 2012 with Confidence and Clarity - an ebook that shifts your consciousness and gives you all the keys to finally fulfill your dreams.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Christine_Hoeflich

No comments: