Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ghost Seance and Ghost Hunting iPhone Apps - The Real Deal or Silly Toys?

I still remember the excitement of getting my first smart phone and downloading an app for the very first time. A friend of mine at the time had opened up to me about strange happenings in her basement suite where she lived with her 3 month year old baby. She was convinced that her basement was haunted and that her baby seemed to interact with unseen entities. She was so troubled by this that she was considering moving into a new home. When she confided in me about what she was experiencing, I could sense that she was reaching out for help and reassurance that she wasn't crazy. Being the good friend that I am, I wanted to debunk or confirm her suspicions so that she could make a better decision on whether or not to find a new place to live.

If only there was some way of scientifically validating her claims, just like they did on those paranormal investigation TV shows. I began searching for ghost hunting devices online and came across a new tool that I could obtain instantly and affordably. The tool was an iPhone app called Ghost Radar. With the click of a button I had now downloaded my very first app which transformed my phone into a ghost hunting tool. I had always been a paranormal fanatic and wannabe ghost hunter so words couldn't describe how excited I was to have this new toy. Unfortunately, it did not take long to realize that beneath the high tech graphical interface, the new app was just that - a toy.

Ghost Radar, Phantom Radar, Ghost Detector, Ovilus and Ghost Hunter are amongst a group of novelty apps disguised as real working ghost hunting tools. Supposedly, most of these type of application rely an EMF (Electro Magnetic Frequency) meter to detect ghosts. Some of these applications scan the area for anomalies and display their findings as blips of color on a radar screen. The apps also claim to enable spirits to manipulate and translate frequencies into words which periodically appear on the screen. The fact is that none of this is possible with the hardware that a smart phone comes equipped with. There is no way it can measure EMF readings, detect motion or anything of that matter like they claim to do. This has been proven many times by frustrated ghost hunting who take their craft seriously (Youtube debunk video: /watch?v=MknjmXnq6QQ), yet people (mostly kids) everywhere continue to download these apps until they learn for themselves that the words that are generated are completely random. As for all the testimonials where people claim that the generated words correspond with something going on in their life at that time - they are nothing more than coincidences as a result of the law of averages. If enough people download the app and let the app run over and over again, these randomly generated words are bound to have significance to the user. These applications offer no more insight than a "magic 8 ball" or fortune cookie. I suppose by the time people realize the truth, the $2.99 they have spent on the app has paid for itself in the form of entertainment, although I felt ripped off myself.

Just when I had given up on finding a legitimate ghost hunting app based on science, Ghost Seance for iPhone hit the market. Unlike the other phony novelty apps that deceive, this new app was based on traditional methods of making contact with the other side.

The website states:
This is not a fake app - This is an audio recording of a real medium that will lead a seance from beginning to end. The medium will attempt to summon spirits using techniques such as spoken spells and chants - Without you having to do a thing!

Could this iPhone app actually conduct a seance and summon spirits? Curiosity got the best of me and I downloaded the app to find out first hand. After running the app a couple times by myself without any response I gave up only to give it another shot later that night at around 3:00 am as the website suggests.

It was now 3:00 a.m. and I was lying in bed and the glow of my iPhone lit up a cozy small space underneath my covers. I pressed the play button and began listening to the prerecorded medium attempt to summon a spirit. After a few chants, it finally worked! The response I got was in the form of a rather loud knocking noise that seemed to emit from the ceiling above me. This frightened me and for some reason I decided to say the following under my breath:

"if you are a Demon knock once for yes"

The unseen spirit responded with a knocking noise even louder than the first, so loud that it made me jump in bed. After that I lay there silent and motionless for a good 15 minutes with my heart pounding so hard and fast that I could hear it echo within my mattress. I guess I got the proof I was looking for, even though the Ghost Seance website claims that the app is designed to summon good spirits only.

The next time I used the app was with my best friend at his house. We had been up late drinking and had pretty much ran out of things to talk about so I showed him the new app that I had downloaded. I pressed play and let the app do its thing. The TV was on at the time and the response we got was that the TV and cable both powered off on its own then turned back on after a few seconds. The rest of the electricity in the house was not affected.

My conclude that this app without a doubt is more than capable of summoning real spirits. Whether or not the spirits are always "good" is yet to be determined.

One thing that disturbs me is how the product is marketed. Just as its less tech savvy predecessor the Ouija board, the product is obviously marketed to towards kids. In bold letters it says on their website:

"Perfect for sleepovers, camping trips and parties!"

Now, I don't want to come across as a prude, after all I used to spend countless hours with my friends playing with a Ouija board and to this day none of us are possessed by demons.

After doing some research I have to conclude that summoning a spirit through a Ouija board, traditional seance or through the Ghost Seance iPhone, is sacrilegious according to the holy bible. However, it is my own personal belief that God gave us an inquisitive mind. This very inquisitive nature is what is responsible for the industrialization, spiritual evolution and overall advancement of our society. After all, how angry could God really be towards people who try and seek proof of an afterlife. If we are given free will to make our own decisions, it is only natural that we would second guess or seek proof of the things we are taught to believe. Could attempting to communicate with good spirits such as a deceased loved one be that bad? I'm sure in this day in age God has bigger fish to fry and should be able to find it in his heart to forgive someone for downloading and using the Ghost Seance iPhone app.

Charles Kyle
Paranormal Enthusiast/Freelance Writer

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Charles_Kyle


No comments: