Love compatibility in astrology is not ascertained just by zodiac sign alone. However your birth month sign is useful in determining your overall psychology and motivation, which in turn color your view of love and marriage. To understand zodiac sign compatibility, first note that the signs are grouped in different ways, based in shared characteristics.
Zodiac signs fall into groups of elements or triplicities. There are three signs for every element. The signs are also categorized based in their qualities or quadrupiicities. There are four signs for each quality. All possible combinations of the qualities and elements make twelve zodiac signs: 3 x 4 = 12.
FIRE: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
WATER: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
EARTH: Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo
AIR: Libra, Aquarius, Gemini
CARDINAL: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn
FIXED: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius
MUTABLE: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces
ARES: fire, cardinal
TAURUS: earth, fixed
GEMINI: air, mutable
CANCER: water, cardinal
LEO: fire, fixed
VIRGO: earth, mutable
LIBRA: air, cardinal
SCORPIO: water, fixed
SAGITTARIUS fire, mutable
CAPRICORN: earth, cardinal
AQUARIUS: air, fixed
PISCES: water, mutable
Your Zodiac Sign Compatibility
The basic rule of astrological sign compatibility is this: A sign is friendliest toward signs that are of the same element as that sign, e.g. water and water sign. The signs that are of active elements - air and fire - are also friendly toward one another. Signs that are of passive elements - earth and water - are sympathetic toward each other too.
Signs that are of different elements but same quality - say, Virgo and Sagittarius - face conflict with each other; yet because they share that quality, they can also be compatible and they stimulate each other to action.
The signs that have neither element nor quality in common are incompatible. This does not mean they cannot have a relationship; however there must be indications of compatibility in other areas of your charts for it to work out happily. (Bear in mind, besides your Sun sign, you also have a Moon sign, etc.)
Sign Compatibility and Frienship
Zodiac signs that belong to the same element strike a cord with one another. When you interact with a person whose Sun sign is compatible with yours, you recognize many things in each other: your ambitions, your values and attitudes are similar. Examples are two people with the Sun in Leo, a brother with a Sun in Scorpio and a sister with a Sun in Cancer, etc. Compatible sun signs can form lifelong friendships with each other, especially if the Suns are in aspect (certain angles measured in your charts) to each other as well. When the Suns are not in aspect, the potential for long-lasting connections is still there but not as strong.
- Sun in fire signs like Aries and Sagittarius share enthusiasm, courage and love of adventure.
- Sun in air signs easily connect and understand what each other is trying to communicate.
- Sun in water signs empathize with each other; there is almost a telepathic link between them.
- Sun n earth signs recognize the same practicality and stability in each other.
But because compatible Sun signs get along so easily, there is often a lack of challenge. You may be good friends, but not necessarily lovers. There would have to be more stimulating aspects in your astrological charts to inspire romance and sexual attraction. Too much compatibility in fact, doesn't mean more romance; it can actually dampen it because the stimulation is missing.
Another issue with compatible zodiac signs is that you can get into extremes: too much action, too much caution, too much emotion-- you get the idea. Because you are so similar, you also share the same weaknesses.
Zodiac Signs and Attraction
More stimulating are relationships between zodiac signs in compatible but not identical elements: air and fire, and water and earth. These can form strong romantic links.
- Sun in fire sign and Sun in an air sign balance and support each other. Example: Gemini is full of ideas and doesn't know where to begin; Aries takes a simple and direct approach. Together they pursue a new idea.
- Sun in an earth sign and Sun in a water sign also balance each other. For example, a Pisces is all dreamy and imaginative; Capricorn is all hard work and worldly ambition. Together they work imaginatively to realize their goals.
Signs that produce both tension and attraction are those that have the same quality.
- Cardinal signs take action. Example is Cancer and Libra both care about long-lasting relationships. They will take initiative in order to build these connections.
- Fixed signs are secure and strong. For example, Scorpio and Leo are both fixed signs. Passionate, determined, and unyielding. They are loyal to each other and will pursue their dreams unrelentingly.
- Mutable signs are creative and adaptable. For instance, Sagittarius and Pisces seek adventure and change are often are religious and philosophical.
But zodiac sun signs are just scratching the surface. Full horoscope love compatibility is an in-depth study that takes an experienced astrologer to interpret. Learn more with quality astrology books that you can buy from your New Age or Occult store, or get them from your local library. Remember that astrology is only a guide that helps you see your potential as a human being and a couple (if you have a partner). Don't rely on the stars alone for your decisions. You have free will; use it!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=River_S.